Tuesday, April 27, 2010

     Detroit revolutionized the auto business, and could now be on its way to leading the way in urban agriculture. With 25,000 acres of vacant, often blighted, land Motor City officials and civic leaders are hoping to turn small-scale - and maybe large-scale - city farming into a resource for jobs, environmental enhancement and tax revenues. 
     While other cities are looking at urban farming, reporter David Runk said Friday in the Washington Post, "...no other city seems to have as much potential for urban farming as Detroit, where land is cheap, empty lots are plentiful, and residents are desperate for jobs. The number of community gardens has been growing each year, and bigger, commercial agriculture could be coming as city planners draw up land use rules for farming."
     Nobody expects to be growing 1,000 acres of soybeans or corn at the intersection of Fenkel and Hubbell, but you might be seeing tomatoes, asparagus, strwberries and the occasional chicken. Runk's story is here:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/23/AR2010042300467.html


     I stopped at a local Subway the other morning for a breakfast sandwich, coffee and OJ. The reason I stopped was because I saw a newspaper ad saying the Subway serves breakfast. "Something new," I thought. "I'll give it a shot." So while I was waiting for my Western omelette sandwich (pretty good, actually), I asked the young lady preparing it how the new breakfast business was going. 
     "New?" she said. 
     "Well, yeah, I just saw it advertised." 
     "We've been doing it ever since I've been here, and that's seven years."
     I was shocked. First, because she looked like she'd have been in kindergarten seven years ago, and second because I had never known about it. Until I read it in the newspaper. A print ad. Ink on paper. Is this a shameless endorsement of my medium? You betcha.


     Did aliens from outerspace actually visit our ancestors? Of course. And they brought unearthly, sometimes disgusting things with them. How else would you explain kiwi fruit? http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/ancient-astronaut-theory-did-aliens-visit-our-ancestors/265bucfm

No comments:

Post a Comment